Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

DIY Autumn Display How-To

I'm feeling so festive this year! The foliage is probably the best I've seen it in years and any time I'm out for a drive I want to stop every two seconds and collect. Leaves. Branches. Berries. Ferns. Everything :)!  So the other day I decided I was going to make a trip of it. I went out with scissors in hand and clipped oodles of goods for a Fall display.
I've had this wonderfully rustic barn-red milking jug and the wash basins for a long time and decided they'd be perfect to house all my finds. Maybe you'll feel inspired to go out and collect. Its so easy, gives a welcoming feel to your entry, and it's FREE.


Here's a little How-To.

What you'll need: 
-Containers (Depending on the plant, water may be necessary.
A vase can fit inside a container if too big.)
-Foliage, branches, berries, greens, etc.
-Scissors/Knife



I suggest dividing your goods separately for easy arranging. 
Fill your container/vase with water.

Start by filling your vase with a "filler" such as grass or leafy branches.
Then start adding the "accents"; Colored leaves, branches, cat tails,
and other special things you may not have as many of.
I added the colored leaves around the outside rim so they'd drape nicely. 


(Notice the little helping hands above... ;)! )

Then I put the cat tails and tall leaf branches in the center of the grass since they're tallest.


Once I got everything I could squeeze in
 I stood back and made a few adjustments.


Then I put a rock in the bottom of the milk jug to fill some space
 and lowered the vase in carefully. 



~

I did the same thing using an old mop bucket, 
but didn't use water for it as these plants dry out nicely...


I'm not sure what this plant is but it's a ground covering weed of some sort 
that smells really nice and has varying colors in the Fall. 
I used this as my filler.


Look at the nice variety of color..so pretty!...


Then I added some dried berry branches, tall leafy branches, 
greens, and a few pine-coned branches.



This bucket will carry through really nicely into the winter time.

~

Lastly I put my mum into a small wash basin and 
displayed it on top of a larger one for height.



Now you get to arrange them all.


(See my last post for pumpkin details.)


There you have it! 
Super easy, inexpensive and best of all, 
it looks soo cozy & festive!

I hope you feel inspired to try your own!
If so, I'd looove to see your pictures when done!
~Amy

Next post: Pressed Autumn ferns, so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment