Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pears Baked In Cream

      There's this wonderful recipe I found in an older Martha Stewart book, Quick Cook. It's so simple, looks elegant, and tastes delish! "Pears Baked In Cream" 
      I experimented this weekend using three different kinds of pears. The recipe calls for bosc or bartlett pears but I also tried a "Japanese style" pear. I decided I like the bosc best. The Japanese is a bit sweeter which is always good-but the bartlett had a tangy taste that didn't blend as well with the cream. 
So the bosc pear won my taste test :) Plus with its long stem and dark, rich color, it looks so pretty when served. You should give them a try! 
Here's the recipe:


*****
 Pears Baked in Cream  
Serves 4
2T (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
2T Sugar
2 Pears-unpeeled, halved, and cored
1/2 C Heavy Cream
1: Preheat oven to 400*
   Butter a shallow baking dish with 1 T butter and sprinkle 1 T sugar over the bottom.


2: Put the pears, cut side down, in a dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and dot with butter. 


3: Bake for 10 mins. Pour the cream over the pears and return to the oven for 20 mins more. Serve warm.
*****


The cream will bubble up and caramelize...it's a beautiful thing. :)


     Here's a look at mine. If you try it, I'd love to see yours! Post a comment/pic here on my blog or email a pic to: chestnut_hill_vintage.com! I'll feature them in a post. 
(And if you try different pears I'd love to hear which you prefer!)



 From the left: Japanese-Bosc-Bartlett




Yum! Sweet and light. 

Have a great night, Amy